Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lucca

Lucca is our friend's son. He was born on the same day as Francesca at the same hospital in St. Petersburg. Brian and Cherish are his parents. I frequently asked God why, why, why would he have our friends bear a child on the same day as we did, especially when she did not live very long. It seemed like a cruel joke - one I'd have to endure for the rest of my life. Adam and I decided about 7 years ago to live here in St. Pete for the rest of our lives, so we're not going anywhere. Brian and Cherish are also transplants from the north, and they intend to live here forever as well. They are close friends of ours, so we're going to run into them. There's no avoiding it! Anyway, seeing Lucca in the immediate weeks and months following her death was very difficult and sad for us. He reminded us of her, and each milestone he passed was bittersweet.

There may be a method to God's madness, however, which became apparent on Halloween this year. Lucca was almost two, and this was the first year he was going trick-or-treating. He's a very smart kid and spends most days at home with Brian and his younger sister, Berlin. Anyway, Brian and Cherish decided to make our house his very first stop that night. We were elated! As I've mentioned before, Francesca says hello primarily three different ways - with giraffes, rainbows, and the "Viva la Vida" Coldplay song. When Lucca got out of the car, I was surprised to see him in a furry giraffe costume. He looked cute as a button! I asked Brian why they decided on a giraffe costume, and he said Lucca picked it out. Two weeks ago they were at Wal-Mart, and Brian asked Lucca what he wanted to be for Halloween. Without pausing he said, "a giraffe!" Brian thought that was odd because Lucca has never been to a zoo, he doesn't have any stuffed giraffes, etc. He'd never even said "giraffe" before. How odd. Lucca was adamant about being a giraffe for Halloween and didn't want to be anything else. We all smiled - Francesca must have suggested it to him. We all were delighted she said hi again, and this time it was through a different venue.

The second time she said hi through Lucca was just over a week ago. Cherish called me up on a Sunday afternoon and said, "You won't believe what Lucca is saying. He has been saying 'Viva la Vida' all day today." Brian and Cherish don't have any Coldplay CD's, and they rarely hear that song on the radio. Even when you do hear it on the radio, the announcer typically doesn't say the name of the song; the words to the song don't have "Viva la Vida" in them. On Friday night two days before, Adam and I had a date night. We heard that song twice in two hours - once as we were getting out of the car to go into the restaurant and the second time while we were eating.

Anyway, I know this I talk about these "hellos" pretty frequently, but I never tire of them. I am new to receiving "hello's" from those who have passed over, and it amazes me. It gives me hope that there is life after death, and it is good. She is happy, yet she is still with us whenever we need her.

1 comment:

Grampa kc-This is Francesca and Adam's future said...

Hello sweetie, we haven't forgotten you. I love and miss you. You have a sister now named Mirai, she is a pistol and I'm sure you would give her a run for her money.

Love Papa Casey