Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pee pee

<-- cute little double chin (from fluid)
Our splayed frog
















Grandpa Casey


















The one-eyed monster





WELL...this was an interesting day. As of 9 A.M. she peed 7 cc's. That's good. While I was on my way to the hospital Adam called me and suggested applying pressure to the inside and outside of the bottom of her feet (reflexology). Apparently this stimulates the kidneys. So I did that for an hour and 15 minutes to her one unbandaged foot. Many thanks to the angel that came into his office today and suggested that -- it's amazing that the right people show up at the right time. Adam spent an hour at lunch by her side doing the same. He reported she had peed 12 cc's by that time - even better! Grandpa Casey and I went back early this evening and spent about 40 minutes applying pressure again, but this time it was to the opposite unbandaged foot. Her nurse said she had peed a total of 1.8. They're looking for her to pee 2.0, so she's right below threshold. But anything is better than none at all. (I'm sorry, but I didn't catch the unit of measure she uses) Happy day, happy day. We're pretty confident rubbing her feet helped tremendously.

While Frankie and I were ending our morning session, she opened her eyes for me! They looked like two little black holes. She startled me! Of course I wasn't fast enough with my camera to catch both eyes open (the entire production lasted only about 30 seconds), but I did catch one open (She squints at me as if to say, "Who are you, strange woman?"). We're going to have so much fun with her.

We found out today Grandpa Joe and Basha (Adam's parents) are coming for an unexpected visit for Christmas. They're braving the roads and traveling all the way from Richmond, VA. Francesca's very excited, we're sure. She hasn't met them yet.

8 comments:

Missy said...

Yay for Pee Pee! Francesca is doing such a wonderful job. I am so proud of her!

Jennifer said...

What a good little girl she is! Yay for pee-pee!!!!

Good girl Francesca, way to go!


PS. That reflexology thing is really impressive. I'm so glad that you have great people surrounding you down there. :)

Anonymous said...

Keep peeing!!! more diaper changes, please!!! My whole branch prayed all day! As did my friends (from all over the country) and family!! She is just keeping you on your feet!! Because she wants hers rubbed! Baby pedicure! Keep up the great work...

Stephie said...

Yes, the splayed position, can something be done about that?
Sam Butler, Heidi Als co-researcher at Harvard looked at your blog photos. Her comments are below. Adam's PT background will be useful in understanding this I think...

"shoulders and arms would ideally be in flexion and in midline. In the pictures they are flat on the mattress causing her chest to arch up. I would suggest supporting the shoulders and elbows to round forward. a small roll under each shoulder blade would help round them forward. It is actually harder to breath with your shoulders flat on the mattress or even arched back. It is easiest to breath on your side or stomach, just given lung capacity. I would also support the hips and knees to turn in towards the body in the same way, with a small roll on each side of the hips.

Here are some pictures of sick babies in good positions regardless of the vents and wires."

A baby on it's side:
http://www.manataka.org/images/alaris_hospital_2.jpg

Shoulders tucked forward:
http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050105/050105_preemie_bcol_5p.standard.jpg

Shoulders tucked forward, hands curled towards face, while kangaroo-ing on a parent:
http://www.abilitycamp.com/images/PreemieO2.jpg

Torres Family! said...

YAY!!! We are all prying for PEE!! We are soo glad to hear the good news! We knew she would pee, she's just adding a few more grey's for ya!! We Love you guys and can't wait for the next update!!

Love Nikki, Dave and Isabella

Anonymous said...

you are all in our prayers for a Christmas Blessing and Miracle -Joan

Unknown said...

PEE PEE PEE PEE YAAAAY!!! Keep up the good work!

Stephie said...

A word from Adam and Heather that is has not been a good day. From myself, they need all the positive thoughts we can muster.