Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Stress is a 6 letter word

My chest hurts and I am standing next to Francesca and Heather. Heather arrived with her father at the hospital minutes before I could get there from work . I left in a rush so I really didn't say goodbye to anyone just "I have to go." She is having a very rough time. She has shown signs of early renal failure and this would be the beginning of a downturn. We are here saying to her quietly "please pee pee, please pee pee for mom and dad." I know this sounds funny but pray for pee pee. The longer she doesn't pee the more critical everything becomes. They have her on more insulin for her high potassium levels and albumin to help her reabsorb the fluid underneath her skin. Heather and I were going to share dinner in the hospital but while we were standing in line my phone rang. We are told we should come to her side as soon as possible. When we got there her right lung had collapsed and put pressure on her heart causing a huge drop in blood pressure. The nurses at All Children's are awesome. I watched them do compressions and give her more O2 to keep her little heart going. We were there for 2 hours watching this all happen. When we left she was pink and moving which is good but we haven't heard anything about her peeing yet.

Update from Mom- we called to check on her at 9:30 this evening, and the nurse said she did pee a tiny, tiny bit (about one milliliter!). Her blood gases are good and the ventilator is back down. This doesn't mean everything is okay, but I'm happy to even see a drop. Earlier today they said yesterday's head ultrasound did show another bleed in her head, but it's only a level 1 (4 is the worst) so she can overcome this with physical therapy. I watched her sleep for a few hours today. Her face is becoming more defined (adorable perky nose! blond eyebrows!). She still hasn't opened her eyes for us yet. I stroked her head, spoke softly to her, and pressed my hand against the bottom of her feet. She seemed to like it as she pressed back. It was so good to see her again today. The day's events had me so stressed though that I took a 2.5 hour nap when we got home this evening and am ready for a full night's sleep just an hour later! I picked up a baby book for her today and began filling it out. Her birth announcement was in the newspaper today so I clipped that too. It may sound odd but I don't feel ready to shop for clothes or other baby items for her yet. Maybe I'll feel differently in a couple of weeks.

Also, thank you very much, Mel and Cindy, for the St. Gerard metal and the adorable hats. I'm a big believer in St. Anthony (helps me find things) and St. Joseph (sold our house in a bad market), so I have no doubt St. Gerard will make her well. I've got it in my special place and have been praying several times a day. xo

8 comments:

Grampa kc-This is Francesca and Adam's future said...

Be sure to say a prayer for Heather and Adam, this is alot more than stress.clgkcg111

AAhles85 said...

Heather, Adam, and Baby Francesca,

We are thinking about you all everyday and praying that God will bless this little bundle of joy and keep her safe. We are also praying for strength for you guys.

-Chris & Ashley

Stephie said...

She is keeping you on your toes. Tell her that isn't supposed to happen until she is a teenager.

Much love,
Stephanie

plg said...

Hi Heather and Adam,

I am glad you write this blog, it makes us feel like we are there with you and not just in spirit.
Little Frannie (I know you do not like this name, but her mom has one also) is just showing you her tenacity, sounds like her mom. Keep writing and praying.

Uncle Phil

Anonymous said...

Prayer to St. Gerard

O good st. Gerard, powerful intercessor before God and Wonderworker of our day, I call upon thee and seek thy aid. Thou who on earth didst always fulfill God's design help me to do the Holy Will of God. Beseech the Master of Life, from whom all paternity proceedth to render me fruitful in offspring, that I may raise up children to God in this life and heirs to the Kingdom of His glory in the world to come.

Puddy and Dianne said...

I have been tracking Francesca's progress from the start and tried to send a message before (but apparently am computer illiterate) so had a young girl at work help me today. Just want you to know that we are praying for God's blessing on your family everyday. I put Francesca on the prayer list at church last week, so ALL of Wolf Lake is praying for her too.
-Puddy and Dianne-

Jennifer said...

Praying many prayers and crossing fingers all the time!

Love, Jen

Amy said...

Adam and Heather -

You and baby Francesca are in my thoughts and prayers each day. Your faith and strength through this is amazing.

We have added you and baby Francesca to our prayer lists at my church - and ask for God's blessing on your family.

Amy