Friday, December 12, 2008

Day 10


A doctor called this morning and asked permission to put a permanent IV in her right thigh. Each time they stick one of her veins and use it for an IV, they can't use it again. She's running out of viable veins! She they wanted to put one into her femoral artery that will last until she leaves the hospital. That was fine with us - seeing last-resort IVs in her head were a little unnerving, even though we knew they were there for a good reason. The surgery only took about 30 minutes, and the doc said he got it in on the first try (whew!) even though it was very tiny. He promised she wouldn't feel any pain.


They reduced her ventilator down to 30%, which is great. They had to increase it a bit during her surgery, but they eventually brought it back down to 30 afterwards.


The LPN on call gave us a brief overview of her progress and said she was acting like a typical 24 week old. We think she's doing great. Anything positive and moving in the right direction (going home!) is a good day. And it was yet another good day. Her eyes look like they're about to open any time. She has blonde eyebrows and dark brown hair, which is just beginning to get fuzzy. So cute!

3 comments:

Stephie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephie said...

Are they letting you touch her? If you could spend time cupping her head and feet that would be wonderful for all of you.

Just wear shortsleeves, scrub to your elbows, and have them cover the portholes so all the warm moist air doesn't rush out. (There are soft plastic covers just large for your wrist to reach through.) The other uncomfortable thing about doing this a period of time, like 20 minutes or half an hour is the height of the isolette, which could be lowered down to a chair if you are sitting.

Unknown said...

Steph-
I looked for a place to comment on your site, but I couldn't find one. Love your pictures! Glad to see Florin and Trevor are doing so well. Florin looks so much like you, and Trevor is wonderfully chubby! I just want to squeeze him!
Sometimes we can cup her. It depends on the nurse and what she has going on that day. They ask us to either talk to her or touch her (but not both) right now because she's been so unstable. I haven't seen those porthole covers. I'll ask next time I go in. Unfortunately I came down with a cold today, so I cannot go in until this clears up. :-( Boo.