Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day 7 - One Week Old!







Francesca had a very good day today. They weaned her ventilator down a bit from 90% to 85%, and she tolerated it well. She also had very good urine output, which relieved her of a bit of the fluid she's been retaining. She's still very puffy from all the fluid, and she's very black and blue from the trauma from birth. But she's no longer on the lamp (for jaundice), so we got to see her face all day today. No hat and no sunglasses! Today is an important day because she gets tested for several things (one week mark), one of which is for bleeding in her brain. She had the same test last Saturday morning and it came back negative, but they also do it again after 7 days. We're waiting on the results. They should come back tomorrow morning. But all her other tests came back just fine with the exception of her platelet levels. They were low, so they had to give her more. But that is normal right now.

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon visit today. The nurse had to change several of her IVs, so she lifted off the top of her incubator to get to her more easily. So we got to talk to her almost face-to-face for the first time. She moved her tiny feet (and BIG TOE!) around, and Adam even heard her cough ever so slightly. Her skin is beginning to shed a bit, and she blew bubbles from her mouth. I know she knows when we're there.

12 comments:

Mo and Bran said...

Thanks so much for doing this to keep us all up-to-date. We are thinking and praying about you guys every single day.

Much love,--mo and B

Missy said...

She is a strong little sweet pea - just like her parents. I am praying for the three of you everyday.

Jennifer said...

I agree with Missy. You guys are so strong and so is little Francesca (I LOVE the name, by the way!). Know that you'll have my prayers every day until she's out of the hospital.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys...we are keeping you in our prayers.

xoxo
Que Dios los bendiga!

Betsy

Rho said...

She is just gorgeous, even her huge Adam-toe!

Don't know if you need anything else to occupy your time, but my best friend's brother went through something similar (baby due in May, came in Feb) a year ago. They've been blogging the whole time, and I'm sure alot of it will sound all too familiar, but hope it will lift you up and can give you some things to look forward too! :)

The site is:
http://babyinthebend.blogspot.com/

Much love and happy thoughts to you all!

xo,
Rhonda and Felix

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful and strong just like her mommy and daddy! There is not a moment in the day that ya'll are not in my thoughts and prayers! Stay strong! And whatever you need...call me!

Stephie said...

She's looks great! If you want to talk about any of this please call me. I have long experience pumping for a micropreemie so I may have some tips to help.

- Stephanie

There are some good pumping tips here too:
http://www.alittlepregnant.com/alittlepregnant/2005/03/index.html

General preemie tips:
http://www.alittlepregnant.com/alittlepregnant/2005/04/index.html

Florin and Trevor Nana said...

Congratulations!! What a surprise!! Never expected to get such a message ... We KNOW miracles happen ... we are amazed by our little miracle every day ... and miracle #2, also ... for different reasons.

Florin & Trevor's Nana

Anonymous said...

Gloria and I talk about little Francesca every day! I know Grandma Grigsby is looking after her and alot of people are praying for her. We look forward to the day you take her home! Oh and like others have said we love the name!

Z.G.& N.

Great Aunt Liz said...

Adam and Heather! This blog is such a beautiful thing! You are already amazing parents, making difficult and meaningful decisions that many people never have to make. Children change everything, and this tiny little girl is so powerful in what she has done for you and your family and friends. She has touched us all so deeply and we all love her so very much. She's a tough one, like her great grandmother Frances (who is sending her strength from heaven). I do find great reassurance in that. I look forward to seeing her when she is snuggled in your loving home...Aunt Liz

Cherish said...

Heather & Adam, this is such an amazing idea and a great portal for us to express how much we all support and love you. You are unbelieveable parents-- truely inspiring. I'm just a block away whenever you just want a respite from all the pressure you're under but stay strong for little Francesca and know that all of you have a team of support with all the hope in the world!! Much love, Cherish & Bri

Unknown said...

Heather and Adam,

Your pictures have brought me to tears. This is the time of year that miracles happen. I will tell everyone I know that are God fearing people to start a prayer chain. And you know how big my mouth can be...
Susan